While all the focus will be on Black Friday we’ll stick with the Green Friday theme with just some of the local shops you might find bargains in the hours and days ahead.
1. Arnotts: No sign of Black Friday anywhere in the department store on Dublin’s Henry Street – there never is – but as always it is having a Christmas Mega event. This year it is promising 20 per cent off almost everything.
2. Avoca: The handweavers of Avoca are offering up to 50 per cent across many of its ranges. We had a quick look at the site and found loads of stuff which kept that 50 per cent promise and a lot of smaller discounts as well.
3. Brown Thomas: Just as with Arnotts, BT has resisted the allure of Black Friday – at least in name. Instead shoppers can look forward to a Christmas Comes Early sale and just as with Arnotts, there’s 20 per cent off across its ranges.
4. Carraig Donn: We like the simplicity of the Carraig Donn Black Friday event – do we have to call it an event? We probably do now. There is 20 per cent off everything.
5. Chupi.com: If you are in the market for sparkles then you won’t go wrong with Chupi and now is the time to buy. Rather than offering discounts, the jeweller is offering “gift coins” of varying amounts depending on how much you spend. So if you spend €399 you get a free gift coin worth €100. If you spend
€1,000 you will get a gift coin worth €200. And if you spend 10 grand you will get a gift coin worth €2,000.
6. DID: The big and Irish electronics retailer is promising its “biggest Black Friday ever”, no small claim given that it always goes all in on the weekend ahead. If you are in the market for a telly or a fridge or any kind of fancy tech than you might be able save yourself a good few bob.
7. Eason: The bookseller’s Black Friday sale if offering 25 per cent off almost everything using the code: Black at checkout. There are also all manner of half price offers do not require a discount code.
8. Elvery’s: A nice simple offer from the sports people. Buy 1, Get 1 Half-Price on nearly everything for Black Friday and the rest of the weekend.
9. Gym + Coffee: Who would have thought this time last year that so many of us would still be working from home and considering ourselves fully dressed if we managed to pull on tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt of a morning. The Gym & Coffee people have promised up to 50 per cent off for the Black Friday days and we like how they have organised the site so you can easily scan the products with the biggest discounts first.
10. Jando Prints: Gorgeous prints of Irish landmarks and more with some pretty special “sound wave” prints added to the mix this year. It’s a Green Friday sale mind you with 20 per cent off much of its stock.
11. Kaliedy: Big discounts on buggies and car seats and cots and bottles and baby harnesses and toys and all manner of other things babies and their parents need.
12. Kennys: This week the folk at Kenny’s won the Irish Bookshop of the Year title at the An Post Book Awards. They are not resting on their laurels mind you and promising discounts of up to 74 per cent – yes, 74 per cent – on its titles.
13. Kilkenny Shop: Like many retailers, this shop is celebrating Green Friday and there is all manner of lovely things to found covering clothes, skincare, jewellery with discounts of up to 50 per cent. There is also very Christmassy stuff with similar discounts.
14. Kinvara Skincare: We were dazzled by the range here with discounts of 25 per cent promised.
15. McElhinneys: The Donegal retailer is promising up to 50 per cent off selected designer and boutique brands.
16. Mint +: If you are in the market for tech but don’t want to spend a fortune that this entirely Irish-owned site might be for you not least because it is running a Black Friday/Cyber Monday special offering up to 30 per cent of a range of things from smart watches and phones to e-scooters and earphones.
17. Smyths Toys: The weeks ahead will be pretty busy for the nation’s toy sellers and for parents keen to add to all the hard work being done by Santa Claus and his elves. We had a look here this week – for inspiration as much as for bargains – and found both in abundance.
18. The Irish Times: Yes, we are shameless but we make no apologies for that. Between now and Monday you can get 50 per cent off an annual subscription to this website. That means you can get all our hard work for only €1.38 per week, which is a steal. And you can take that to the bank.
19. Unicef: Not strictly speaking a local site, but worth including all the same. This Black Friday shoppers in Ireland are being urged to “buy hope” by donating life-saving Covid-19 vaccines to people in some of the world’s poorest countries. According to UNICEF Ireland, a €50 donation from Black Friday shoppers can deliver enough vaccines to protect 10 people from Covid-19.
20. Zzzana: If these guys were looking for a name to ensure they came last – but not least – in our list, they have nailed it. This Black Friday Zzzana is offering 10 per cent off site-wide, a free eye mask with the purchase of Cruz Pyjamas and Robe, when bought together.