Flames broke by the roof of the historic Hendrefoilan House as a fireplace ripped by the Victorian mansion.
Emergency companies have been referred to as to the scene late on Sunday night time and fought the flames till the early hours of the next morning. Photos present the dimensions of the hearth as residents close by grew involved for these concerned.
The constructing is close to the off-campus Swansea College Hendrefoilan Pupil Village and was bought by a new proprietor in 2020, changing the property right into a residency. A spokesperson for South Wales Fireplace and Rescue Service mentioned crews are coping with “a large house fire” with South Wales Police in attendance saying there are “no immediate concerns” and the incident was being handled.
Neighbours raised issues across the scale of the hearth as flames broke by the properties roof. One close by resident who wished to stay unnamed commented: “I only noticed it when we saw all the flashing lights past the house, we saw four fire engines, police and other units all head up into the lane”.
Sue Gleeson lives alongside Hendrefoilan Avenue. She was alerted to the blaze by a neighbour dwelling reverse who was involved it was her home which was affected.
She mentioned: “I heard a knock on the door and it was my neighbour checking we were ok. I went into the lounge and looked out and I could see huge flames going up. I opened the curtains and I could see flames licking up from the roof. It was spectacular in an awful way
Fellow Hendrefoilan Avenue resident Patricia Kirby said she and her husband were awoken by the fire.
“The flames were sky high,” she mentioned. “The home appears like it’s nonetheless standing, however somebody mentioned they needed to break the roof to extinguish the hearth. A really good household dwell there with two kids and a canine. The constructing has been there for years and it’s listed. It’s a disgrace to see. The proprietor has accomplished lots of work there.
Different neighbours expressed issues following whether or not close by properties must be evacuated in case the hearth had unfold into surrounding woodland. Smoke can nonetheless be seen from the home this morning with emergency service autos nonetheless current.
Get Swansea tales straight to your inbox with our publication.