‘Miracle I survived,’ says taxi driver

David Perry was injured when when a homemade explosive device detonated shortly after he pulled up outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital in north west England on November 14.

The passenger in the taxi, 32-year-old Emad Al Swealmeen, died when his bomb exploded.

David Perry, pictured with his wife Rachel, was injured in the blast outside Liverpool hospital in the UK. (Photo: Greater Manchester Police) (AP)

Mr Perry said he was grateful no one else was injured in “such an evil act”, the BBC reports.

He also thanked the public for their “amazing generosity” since the incident.

Mr Perry escaped the taxi seconds before it was turned into a fireball and was taken to hospital. He has since been discharged.

In a statement released through UK police, Mr Perry said he and his wife Rachel were “completely overwhelmed” with the messages of support after the Remembrance Sunday attack.

“We would like to say thank you to everyone for all your get-well wishes and for your amazing generosity,” he said.

The moment the suspected bomb detonated in the taxi.
The moment the suspected bomb detonated in the taxi. (Supplied)

“I feel like it’s a miracle that I’m alive and so thankful that no-one else was injured in such an evil act.”

Mr Perry said he needed “to try to come to terms with what’s happened and focus on my recovery both mentally and physically”.

Police have said the homemade bomb had ball bearings attached to it and they could have caused “significant injury or death”.

The incident triggered a heightened UK terrorism alert level.

The explosion outside Liverpool hospital triggered a raising of the UK’s terrorism threat level to severe, meaning an attack is highly likely. (AP)

The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre raised the threat level from substantial — meaning an attack is likely — to severe, meaning it is highly likely, following the UK’s second fatal incident in a month.

Commemorations for 20th anniversary of September 11 attacks

Conservative politician David Amess was stabbed to death in October in what police said was an act of terrorism.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *