People shelter in pub after being forced to leave homes over suspected gas leak

People were forced to leave their homes this afternoon following concerns of a gas leak.

At around 12.46pm, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service received reports of a ‘pipework breach’ at Sandon Dock waste water treatment works, Regent Road, Sandhills, Liverpool.

Two fire crews arrived at the scene at 12.53pm and began to contain materials coming from a broken pipe and monitor natural gas levels.

READ MORE:How Birkenhead could look in 2040 as major plans to be voted on

The area was immediately evacuated for a 250-metre radius following concerns over a build-up of gas.

Many residents took shelter in a local pub on the corner of Boundary Street and Regent Street.

One family even bundled their cat into a bag on the way out, not knowing how long it would be until they could return.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue at a pipe breach at Sandon Dock waste water treatment works on Regent Road, Liverpool. Photo by Colin Lane
Merseyside Fire & Rescue at a pipe breach at Sandon Dock waste water treatment works on Regent Road, Liverpool. Photo by Colin Lane

The Royal Crest Hotel, manned by Carol Sherrington, helped a few people out on Thursday afternoon whilst emergency services worked to make the area safe.

Ms Sherrington told the ECHO one fireman said they were “concerned about a methane leak” and a large cordon was put in place.

She added: “It’s like Noah’s Ark, all these people came in with their animals. We’ve got a cat and a dog at the moment. They just evacuated the area.

“A fireman came in for a brew and said they were worried about a methane leak across the road.”

The area was evacuated
The area was evacuated

A number of roads were closed, including Regent Road, Boundary Street and Sandhills Lane as motorists were urged to avoid the area.

One resident, Andy, who lives across the road from the plant, was told to evacuate by police, whom he said were “taking all precautions” and giving it a “wide berth”.

Andy arrived at the pub with his pet cat and dog.

As of 4.30pm, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service confirmed there were four crews in attendance and the Incident Command Unit.

Six firefighters in three teams of two are wearing breathing apparatus and full protective gear to enter the area to monitor gas levels with specialist equipment and “isolating safety valves”.

They confirmed the incident is “ongoing”.

Hours after the initial report was made, a large cordon remained in place and a heavy emergency service response at the scene.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what’s on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.