It maps out how the UN would deploy US$6.6 billion worth of meals and vouchers to feed more than 40 million people across 43 countries that are “on the brink of famine” — thereby averting what the WFP is calling a looming “catastrophe.”
In the document Mr Beasley posted, the WFP proposes dedicating US$3.5 billion ($4.81 billion) to buy and deliver food directly, US$2 billion ($2.75 billion) “for cash and food vouchers (including transaction fees) in places where markets can function,” and spending another US$700 million ($962 million) to manage new food programs that are “adapted to the in-country” conditions and ensure “the assistance reaches the most vulnerable.”
Another US$400 million ($550 million) would be used for “operations management, administration and accountability” and supply chain coordination.
“I’ve been warning about the perfect storm brewing due to COVID, conflict, climate shocks and now, rising supply chain costs. IT IS HERE.”
“You asked for a clear plan and open books. Here it is! We’re ready to talk with you – and anyone else – who is serious about saving lives.”
As of Wednesday afternoon, Musk had not responded.
The back-and-forth between Musk and Mr Beasley kicked off with a CNN interview last month in which Mr Beasley asked billionaires to “step up now, on a one-time basis” to help combat world hunger, specifically citing the world’s two richest men: Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos.
Beasley said giving US$6 billion ($8.25 billion), or two per cent of Musk’s net worth, could help solve world hunger.
Musk responded on Twitter, writing, “If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6B will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it.”
Mr Beasley previously replied to Musk’s tweets, assuring him that systems are in place for transparency and open source accounting.
“For him to even enter into this conversation is a game-changer because simply put, we can answer his questions, we can put forth a plan that’s clear,” Mr Beasley told CNN in a follow-up interview earlier this month.
“Any and everything he asks, we would be glad to answer. I look forward to having this discussion with him because lives are at stake.”
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the world’s hunger crisis was already exacerbated by climate change and conflict. The pandemic compounded the existing issues though, leaving “42 million people that are literally knocking on famine’s door,” Mr Beasley said.
It’s not clear if Musk or Bezos have seen the plan and will ultimately decide to lend their support. Spokespeople for Musk’s companies did not respond to requests for comment.
A representative for Bezos, Angela Landers, declined to comment on the WFP’s proposal but pointed to other philanthropic donations Bezos has made to combating hunger.
Musk has previously made bold promises on Twitter, committing resources to charitable endeavours. In 2018, for example, he pledged to “fund fixing the water in any house in Flint that has water contamination above FDA levels.”
Musk has made more sizable donations to certain projects. This year, he promised to donate US$30 million ($41.24 million) to Brownsville, Texas, the city nearest to a massive rocket hub run by his company SpaceX, and local schools.